Specialized master® "Defense and Security in Space"
This MBA is offered in partnership with the Space Command, CNES(the National Space Study Center)and ONERA (the French Space Lab).
For several years, space has undergone a particularly significant development, whether in the context of everyday applications (telecommunications, navigation & positioning, banking transfers, Earth observation, ...) or in military operations. This strong growth does not come without questions related to security.
The French Air and Space Force Academy in partnership with the Space Command (CDE), the Centre national d'études spatiales (CNES), the National Space Study Center, and the National Research Office offers an Advanced MBA® in Defense and Security in Space (AM DefSiS). This high-level dual civilian and military program will enable graduates to demonstrate their expertise in the field of space and security.
Open to students or professionals with an MBA degree in engineering, science, management, law, international relations, security studies or political science, this training program, in English, represents a total volume of 450 hours divided into seven modules covering a wide range of subjects (space mechanics, civil and military applications, geopolitics, law, crisis management, etc.). The training ends with a 4-to-6-month internship in a company.
Backed by renowned organizations, industries, and start-ups, it relies on the expertise of many professionals and on a dynamic program combining theoretical contributions, active pedagogy, serious gaming, simulation, projects, and visits.
Join this unique defense and security in space program in Europe within the prestigious French Air and Space Force Academy.
|Application file 2023-2024 to be submitted before 09/03/2023 23:59|
Cost of training: application fees and tuition fees for this AM ?
- The cost of the training is:
• €10,500 net of VAT in the case of individual financing,
• € 15,000 net of VAT in the case of assumption by the employer/company.
For the year 2023-2024 no application fees
Is the "Space 2023 Scholarship" the only grant or scholarship available for this program ?
- Other possibilities of aid may be considered
Apart from the €70 application fee and tuition fees, are there any other expenses to consider ?
- For 2023-2024 no application fees
Dates of application for the master's degree ?
- You can now go to the website of the Ecole de l'air et de l'espace to download the application file
Where can I submit my registration file ?
- Once the file is completed, return it to firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive an acknowledgment of receipt. If the file is incomplete or requiring clarification you will be contacted via this address
Until when can I submit my registration file for the 2023-2024 school year ?
- No later than Sunday 03/09/2023 at 11:59 p.m. "but we invite you not to wait for this deadline in order to give yourself time to put together the file with our help if necessary.
I can't open the CPR file, what should I do?
- If you encounter a problem opening it, try saving it as PDF or right click open with PDF. In case of difficulties contact the manager of the AM at 04 13 93 80 00 ext. 28 541
Are my Master 1 diploma and my certificate of enrolment in Master 2 sufficient at first to send you my registration file, it being understood that it will only be complete when I will be able to provide you with my certificate of successful completion of Master 2?
- Your proof of registration in M2 is sufficient for your file and you can present yourself from the first recruitment session if you wish. If you are selected by the jury you can start the AM DefSiS program in September 2023 before your M2 graduation at the end of 2023, which allows a real continuity of studies between the M2 and the AM
Which TOEIC do I need; TOEIC Listening and Reading or Speaking and Writing?
- You can pass the TOEIC you want, the minimum score of 785 is given as an example for the TOEIC Listening and Reading. You can even take a single TOEIC exam that will serve you to validate your M2 and AM at the same time (the validity of the certificate is 2 years from the date of taking the test).
Regarding the letter of recommendation, it can be written by any teacher or does it have to come from the person in charge of the training?
- There is nothing imposed on the profile of the author of the letter of recommendation, this person just needs to be recognized in his field and know you well enough to appreciate and recommend your skills, know-how and interpersonal skills.
Do you have any examples to provide me of companies that have funded this program?
- Founding members: EAE, Space Command, CNES, ONERA. Partners: CS Group, Telespazio, SopraSteria, Thalès Alenia Space, Airbus Defense and Space, MBDA, ESA, ISAE Group, Dassault Aviation, ESSP, ArianeGroup
Regarding the prerequisites, is a general engineering degree in engineering school enough
- Any engineering degree or equivalent to the grade of Master 2 (sciences, economics, management, political science, etc.) is admissible to pass to the admission jury
What courses are offered?
- On the website of the Space School, the AM DefSiS brochure will bring you the details of this training.
Possibility to follow this course in alternation?
- For the 2023-2024 session, classes will be face-to-face on the site of the 701 Salon de Provence Air Base. The 2024-2025 session may be in hybrid format.
Are the teachers all French?
- Most of the teachers are French, but ESA could call on international trainers.
Do I have the right number of languages?
- It is not mandatory to present an already valid TOEIC/TOEFL for the application session, it is sufficient to pass such an exam during the program and provide the certificate before the end of your professional mission. The person writing the letter for you can mention your English skills. You can therefore submit the application files in English.
Can the internship be done in a company other than in the private sector (public or international)?
- Your internship can be done in the private or public sector related to the space field.
Do all students follow the same curriculum?
- For the 2023 session, all students will follow the same program to obtain the AM degree. We are in the process of designing different certificates from the AM program for the 2024-2025 session.
Will there be an engineering refresher for candidates from a non-technical background?
- The 1st unit (module) will be dedicated to this refreshment/upgrade.
What is the "Project" module?
- The unit called Project is a project led by (at least) 2 students during the academic semester, involving a research paper and a presentation.
Will Unit 6 be limited to cybersecurity within the space segment or will the ground segment, the link segment and the user segment be addressed?
- These conferences and trainings will focus on cyber threats and hygiene, network and application security, cyber risk management, cyber laws, attack and defense practices, software security, cybersecurity audits...
Could you describe in more detail the content of Unit 6 "Security of space systems", including the sub-theme "Cybersecurity of space systems"?
- These conferences and trainings will focus on cyber threats and hygiene, network and application security, cyber risk management, cyber laws, attack and defense practices, software security, cyber audits...
Could your program be useful in preparing cybersecurity certifications such as CISSP, CISM, CompTIA A+, etc.)?
- The AM program could give a strong specificity to your cybersecurity skills and therefore contribute to your preparation for cyber professional certifications
Is this Advanced Master's degree available as a double curriculum or as a "work-study program" (work-linked training system)?
When can the search for the company's mission begin?
- You can start your mission search at the opening of the semester
Is the subject of the assignment already established or flexible?
- Flexible locations and topics
Is the scope of this programme limited to France and Europe? Are American organizations such as USSF or ISAC Espace part of the facilities that students will visit?
- Only France/Europe structures will be visited during the semester, but you can carry out your professional assignment in an American company/institution.
Will the classes take place at the École de l'air et de l'espace in Salon-de-Provence or in another place?
- All the training at the Air and Space School, one week will be relocated to Toulouse to Visit our partners.
Will the French Air and Space Force Academy organize open days?
- A webinar will be organized this spring, then you can meet us at the Paris Air Show, or at the Air Meeting on May 20 and 21, 2023
Is there a platform to connect with current program students or alumni?
- In 2024, possibility to develop an alumni platform of the AM DefSiS